In brief

The beautiful parish of Elton is in the northernwest corner of Cambridgeshire. We come under Huntingdon District Council

To contact the Parish Council email Wendy Grey, Parish Clerk or contact one of the Parish Councillors.

Minutes 20th June 2017

MINUTES OF MEETING OF ELTON PARISH COUNCIL HELD IN THE HIGHGATE HALL ON TUESDAY 20TH JUNE 2017 COMMENCING AT 7.30 P.M.

 

PRESENT:  Cllrs Cummins, Donoyou, Holman, Langlands, Rankmore, Smith and Strowbridge

 

IN ATTENDANCE:  Mrs W Gray Parish Clerk, Mrs L Jepson and Mr G Bail

 

  1. Apologies for Absence: Cllrs Gentry, Porter and District Cllr R Mathews, County Cllr S Bywater

 

  1. Declaration of Interest: Cllr Langlands item 9

 

  1. Minutes of 16th May 2017:

Subject to addendums Cllr Donoyou proposed that minutes were approved and signed at July meeting, all in favour.

 

  1. Matters Arising from above minutes – update:

Following a request by Cllr Rankmore and backed up by a member of the public it was agreed an Addendum should be produced to the above minutes, see below:

 

ADDENDUM TO MINUTES 16TH MAY 2017 Item 10. A605 Junction:

The Parish Council note that the presence of 34 members of the public at the above meeting was due almost entirely to the importance of this matter to the village. This number of additional attendees is highly unusual.

For complete clarity, it is also noted that Mr Andrew Preston on behalf of Cambridgeshire County Council confirmed that the county would implement a highway improvement /safety scheme probably incorporating the Parish Council’s suggestion of bollards in combination with further speed restriction measures. The County have committed to doing this work within an 8-month period and would shortly come back to the parish council with draft designs for further consultation.

In the very short term he agreed that the County will ensure that hedgerows currently concealing road signs on the eastbound carriageway would be cut back.

 

Item 11 – The Moorings – Mr Bail confirmed had never been to court.

 

Neighbourhood Plan – little research has been done, no information received from HDC, Parish Clerk to enquire as we understood HDC were due to start consultation on their emerging plan this month  (as we have no meeting in August do not want to miss the opportunity to respond).

 

  1. YTD/monthly accounts v budget:

Expenditure to date is what is expected.

 

  1. Authorisation of Payments:
Peterborough Accountancy Services – Internal Audit/Payroll £150.00
D Knibbs – Grasscutting May and June £1,133.32
Wendy Gray, Parish Clerk – Salary/Tax June £300.00
Wendy Gray, Parish Clerk – Expenses £71.54
K&M Lighting – Maint (June) £75.25
Highgate Hall Council of Management – 16th May £20.00
Business Services at CAS Ltd – Zurich Insurance – Renewal £370.13
CPRE Membership £36.00
e-on Electricity Supply June (DD) £238.24

 

Cllrs Donoyou, Rankmore and Strowbridge approved the above invoices for payment.

 

Income Received:

Grant towards grasscutting, notification received payment will be made direct into bank account    shortly.

 

  1. Street Lighting:

Cllrs Donoyou and Holman met with Cllrs MacGuire and Bywater who were both sympathetic to our       situation.  Two things we can do keep in contact with officers at CCC as it is almost inevitable that   some grants may not be taken up and put in another application later in the year.  Grant scheme will   be running again this year.

 

Cllr Donoyou to contact contractor with a view to arranging meeting as soon as possible to establish    if he can fix immediate essential works that need to be done on a number of street lights (identified       in Skanska report) and advise of the cost involved.

 

Street Light on Back Lane by allotments on all day – Parish Clerk to report.

 

  1. A605 Junction:

Drivers need to be more vigilant, if see any incidents it would be useful to have times, dates, registration number or type of car – record as much information as possible, this information can then be passed on to the police.

 

Cllrs Rankmore and Strowbridge to put together draft leaflet encompassing above that will get people’s attention, circulate to all councillors – leaflet drop could be carried out, website etc.

 

  1. Planning:
  • 17/00891/FUL – Proposed Stables at Billing Brook Barn, Oundle Road, Elton, PE8 6SE – The parish council notes that the proposed stable block and associated ranch fencing and hard standings are within thecurtilage of a group of listed buildings.  We note a conservation consultation has not yet appeared to assist the determination of this application and the PC believe a planning condition should be imposed preventing the commercial or semi commercial renting out of the stables and associated equestrian facilities / paddocks on the site.  If an equestrian business is to be established, an application should be made accordingly.

 

  • 24 Overend – Cllr Cummins proposed, Cllr Rankmore seconded all in favour for the following comments to be forwarded to HDC planning when application received: The parish council strongly support the bringing of this listed cottage back into residential use.  However, the council thinks that the proposed new windows should be inserted within the existing openings and under the existing lintels especially the splayed reveals on front and rear elevations.  The parish council notes the previous 20th c alterations to the rear and wonders if there is opportunity to replace the poor quality Fletton bricks to a former door opening with a more sympathetic approach and perhaps at the same time to rationalise /reduce the window and door openings to the rear.  If the cottage is to be re-thatched / re-ridged, a straightforward plain ridge rather than the current ornamental patterned ridge may be more appropriate to this simple domestic building.  An internal inspection was not made in coming to this view.
  1. Trees/Verges and Footpaths:

Cllr Donoyou reported – nothing currently happening – lawyer advised that we look to serve Section 56 notice, no cost, and no risk to PC in serving such a notice, if NCC generally intends to resolve issue then have no issues to take up with Parish Council.  If NCC does delay PC can enforce with Section 56 notice giving reasons for the delay by the magistrates.  Cllr Smith proposed, seconded Cllr Cummins, all in favour that we arrange for Section 56 notice to be served.

 

D Knibbs taken on verge outside Black Horse.  RD will make a tree protector for DK strimmer if he wishes.

 

Branches now falling off – who is legally responsible?  Cllr Donoyou will send email with photos of all trees in question to HDC.

 

Grass verges – D Knibbs continues to do an excellent job.

 

  1. The Moorings, Elton:

Richard Proctor, Senior Enforcement Officer, ENC reported via email – In the face of imminent prosecution the owners have started to remove the residential related items from the land and further reinstatement is planned.   Richard Proctor had visited site this morning and confirmed that the ornamental planting has been removed.  Some trees and fences remain but we can’t insist on their removal.  The sheds currently have birds in them.  Confirmed that providing the residential use does not resume and the work continues as agreed then the Council will not need to take any further enforcement action in relation to the land affected by the notice, which remains in force.

ENC will continue to monitor compliance and now move to regularisation of the moorings on the river and their use and understand that the operational development (i.e. the moorings) may be older than 4 years and therefore immune from enforcement action.  It seems the residential use of the moorings (which is subject to a 10 year immunity period) may still be liable to enforcement action.

The owners are entitled to apply for the relevant lawful development certificate but ENC will ensure the most appropriate course of action is taken.

 

  1. Village Shop:

4 people viewing, none have come back and made any positive offer.  EE do not have any objections to what is proposed.  Community Shop – ideas!!!  Support for Anna – Cllr Langlands will discuss with Anna and report back to the Council.  Cllr Rankmore will speak with Oliver Nicholson (only) with a view to reporting back at next meeting.

 

  1. Correspondence:

Email from Simon Bywater re A605.  RS/MH should encourage/involve HDC/CCC in any discussions.

 

  1. Reports from Councillors:

Cllr Rankmore reported on progress with Kings Cliffe Surgery.

 

Cllr Donoyou re Pages Passage – Cllr Donoyou agreed to speak with solicitor on progressing/costs involved.

 

  1. Date of Next Meeting:

Tuesday 18th July 2017

 

Apologies received from Cllrs Rankmore and Strowbridge who will not be available for next meeting.

 

Meeting closed at 10.10 p.m.

 

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>