MINUTES OF ELTON PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD IN THE HIGHGATE HALL

ON TUESDAY 15TH JULY 2014 AT 7.30 P.M.

 

Present:              Cllrs J Burgess, R Donoyou, I Kirk, T Cummins, M Porter, R Smith

 

 

In Attendance: Mrs W Gray (Parish Clerk), Cllr M MacGuire, Emma Murdon CCC, Jenny Thackray and Helen Field from Hunts DC/Climate Energy, Mrs Jepson, Mr Rankmore

 

  1. Apologies for Absence: Mrs S Strowbridge

 

  1. Declaration of Interest: None

Matters Arising:

 

  1. Co-option of Councillors:

Mr R Rankmore, was co-opted on to the Parish Council (1 abstention) and was asked to join the rest of the Councillors in the meeting.  Relevant documentation to be completed.

 

Mr M Holman who had expressed an interest was unable to attend meeting but would be invited to our next Parish Council meeting in September.

 

  1. HDC – Energy Efficiency Funding:

Helen Field and Jenny Thackray introduced themselves to the members of the council.  They will be carrying out letter drops during the week of 28th July 2014 informing residents of this offer.  There will be an open evening at Highgate Hall on Thursday 7th August between 4pm and 7pm where officers from Huntingdonshire District Council and Climate Energy (HDC partners) will be available for residents to ask questions about the scheme.

 

  1. Questions for Cllr M MacGuire:
  • Elton turn from A605 – Cllr Smith’s understanding is that CCC’s understanding at the time was based upon risk assessment – “until there are serious incidents, the priority for changes is low”.  Cllr MacGuire confirmed that priorities for highway safety schemes were based on accidents records and that there were other junctions in the county that currently had more pressing safety concerns.  Cllr MacGuire confirmed that the worn road markings would be addressed.  When asked about potential planning agreement funding from major developments in the locality (that will have an impact on traffic flows on the A605) Emma Murdon said she would investigate this further.
  • State of Road in Chapel Lane – Cllr Burgess reported that state of road is poor.  Emma Murdon (highways) would visit site this evening when left the meeting and would add to list for repair to be done as soon as possible.
  • Stocks Green – lengthy discussion took place and all councillors views obtained.  The Parish Council again resolved that this area of land (which is CCC land) is reinstated back to its original state of all grass and for the gravel and posts to be removed by 30 September 2014.  A further vote was taken resulting in “no compromise on original position”.

 

Verges getting chewed up would highways put kerbs in – Emma reported would not kerb unless desperately necessary to do so.  It was noted that kerbs would drastically affect the character of the village and may require consent within the conservation area.

 

End of year bid – Emma advised that when we complete the form for local highway improvements we set out our aspirations rather than getting bogged down in detail from the outset – one of the reasons the 2013 bid did not progress beyond the first stage.

 

Cllr Donoyou expressed our thanks to Cllr MacGuire, and Emma (highways) for the grant received enabling us to fund the cycle day.

 

  1. Minutes of 3rd June and 17th June 2014:

3rd June – Cllr Kirk proposed minutes were accepted as a true and accurate record, seconded Cllr Donoyou, all in agreement.

17th June – Cllr Donoyou proposed minutes were accepted as a true and accurate record, seconded Cllr Porter, all in agreement.

 

  1. Matters arising from the above minutes:

BT Kiosk – The defibrillator is now in the phone box and ready to go.  The ambulance service is to put into their database and then it will be ready for use.  As a result of adopting the kiosk we have been give a free supply of paint and undercoat to paint the phone box (value £75) we need to contact BT for this.  Cllr Donoyou proposed we take up the offer, seconded Cllr Smith all in favour.

 

Telephone Mast – information received but to progress further we need to have land or for someone to donate an area for this use.  Information to be put on file for future reference.

 

Red Bridge improvements – understand work is now complete – advised there is a damaged guard rail, Parish Clerk has reported, awaiting a response.

 

  1. Authorisation of Payments:
Wendy Gray – Salary July £240.00
Wendy Gray – Tax July £60.00
K & M Lighting – Maint July £61.15
A Flatters – Grasscutting July £445.00
CPRE Membership Renewal £30.00
Highgate Hall – Hire of Annexe 17th and 22nd June £32.00

Cllr Kirk proposed above invoices approved for payment, seconded Cllr Donoyou, all Cllrs in agreement.

  • Bank Signatories – Cllrs Burgess and Rankmore will complete documentation to bring signatories up to 4.

 

  1. Elton Lock to Warmington Lock Towpath (Rights of Way):

Landowners closed towpath to public access in 2010.  Elton WI served notice on the landowners.  NCC has now decided to take forward and we assume will head for a Public Inquiry (unless the landowners accept dedication).  Person leading is leaving the village for personal reasons and has asked that the Parish Council take it forward on behalf of the village from the WI.  Cllr Donoyou proposed that the Parish Council take this forward, seconded Cllr Cummins.

 

We will need to carry out historical and other local research for which there may be charges.  All agreed that a budget of £250 is set aside to cover such charges.

 

  1. Street Lighting:

New street light in Brawn Way (near No. 9) is not straight – Parish Clerk to ask Balfour Beatty to check.

 

  1. Planning:

1401120PACOU prior approval for change of use from agricultural building to single dwelling house at Agricultural Buildings North of Tookey Lodge, Bullock Road, Elton – the Parish Council have no further comments to make on this application.

 

1401068FUL – Demolition of garage buildings and erection of two detached dwellings at The Garage, Overend, Elton PE8 6RU – Elton PC have the following observations:

  1.  It may be that there are contaminated land issues, the site having been in garage use for over 100 years – please refer to the application form.
  2.  Regarding materials, the application form states natural stone and slate.  The PC supports the use of natural local limestone, laid in courses.  However, the parish council HAS ADVISED THE DISTRICT COUNCIL ON A NUMBER OF OCCASIONS THAT IT DOES NOT SUPPORT THE USE OF WELSH SLATE.  IN THIS INSTANCE, SINCE THE APPLICATION FORM SIMPLY STATES SLATE, THE PARISH COUNCIL WOULD WISH TO ENSURE THAT BRADSTONE REPLICA COTSWOLD SLATE IS SPECIFIED.  This is a readily obtainable material, manufactured in England (unlike the majority of blue slate which is imported from Spain, Brazil or China!!) and is sympathetic to the local vernacular materials.  Seehttp://www.aggregate.com/products-and-services/roofing-tiles/
  3.  Windows and doors should be in painted wood and guttering and downpipes should replicate traditional cast iron rainwater goods.
  4.  The parish council has sought the advice of Huntingdonshire planning department on S 106 agreements and is currently looking to arrange for detailed discussions on this matter.  The 100 year old cast iron lamp standards in the conservation area (which includes Overend) need repair, the lamp holders updating to accept energy efficient light bulbs and also supplementing to ensure more effective street illumination.  This part of Overend is poorly lit and there is a significant population of elderly people directly opposite the site.  The parish council therefore seeks a financial contribution of say £5000 to enable it to conserve and upgrade the traditional street lighting on Overend and looks forward to dialogue with the planning department to enable this to be achieved.
  1. Trees/Verges:

Maintenance work will commence on 4th August clearing dead trees, cutting back verges.  Notices to be displayed in areas advising that work is being carried out a couple of weeks beforehand.

 

  1. Correspondence

Report received from PCSO.  There is a Panel Meeting at Pooley Hall in Yaxley on Wednesday 30th July commencing at 7.30 p.m. where it will be possible to meet Sergeant Aaron Murphy who has just taken over the team.

 

North Hunts Community Car Scheme – information to be put on web site.

 

  1. Reports from Councillors:

Street light out at top of Back Lane.

 

Cllr Rankmore was asked if he would consider preparing the budget calculations for the Parish Council – Cllr Rankmore agreed if this was what the PC would like.  Proposed Cllr Kirk, seconded Cllr Donoyou, all in favour.

 

Confirmation of employees insurance i.e.documentary confirmation that the contractors for grass cutting and tree felling/clearance have full insurance and certification of competence for their employees, as well as third party insurance, so that the PC has no responsibility whatsoever for any problem that might occur when the work is carried out.

 

Gate to Mill near Curlhair Studio – stile has disappeared, should be reinstated and notice erected saying “Private” and beneath this a reference to fishing.

 

Tree opposite School Lane at top of Vinco Terrace (house for sale) consent was given to lop but Parish Council not consulted.  Parish Clerk to contact Brian Ogden at HDC.

 

Letter received from Lynda Porter resigning as Footpath Officer.  Letter of thanks for all her help and support to be sent.

 

Little Spinney – the Parish Clerk has written to highways to clarify if they own this area of land, according to all correspondence (maps) received from them they do.  This is on the schedule for clearing in August.

 

  1. Date of Next Meeting:

Tuesday 16th September 2014

 

Meeting closed at 10.00 p.m.

 

 

Signed: ………………………………                             Date: ……………………..