MINUTES OF ELTON PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD IN THE HIGHGATE HALL

ON TUESDAY 17TH FEBRUARY 2015 AT 7.30 P.M.

 

Present:   Cllrs J Burgess, T Cummins, R Donoyou, M Porter, R Rankmore, R Smith, S Strowbridge.

 

In Attendance:   Mrs W Gray (Parish Clerk), Cllr R Mathews (until 8pm), Mr D Knibbs.

 

The meeting was chaired By Cllr J Burgess.

 

  1. Apologies for Absence: Cllrs M Holman, I Kirk, County Cllr M McGuire

 

  1. Declaration of Interest: Cllr Rankmore (Item 12 re back of his property)

 

Matters Arising:

  1. Minutes of 20th January 2015:

Cllr Rankmore proposed minutes were accepted as a true and accurate record, seconded Cllr Smith, all in agreement.

 

  1. Matters arising from the above minutes:

Stocks Green – email from Cllr McGuire, “I’ve been chasing an update from our legal eagles re Stocks Green and as recently with two Directors this afternoon.  At the moment I don’t have anything to add to what I shared with the chairman last week.  As soon as I have something to share with the PC I’ll get back in touch with you.”  Cllr Donoyou proposed, seconded Cllr Rankmore that a note is sent requesting reinstatement is completed as soon as possible.

 

A605 – Mr Shailesh Vara MP has been invited to attend Parish Council meeting 17th March/21st April to discuss A605 junction – date to be confirmed.

 

Footpath outside Mill House – inspected by highways on 16th February 2015.

 

Potholes Chapel Lane – highways advise work is scheduled to be carried out by end of February 2015.

 

  1. YTD/monthly accounts v budget:

Cllr Rankmore produced further draft following receipt and expenditure figures produced by the Parish Clerk.  Highlighted possible savings.  NO projects in at all, need to know by next Parish Council meeting which projects (if any) put in plan for next year and will be financed out of reserves rather than precept.  For 2016 look at Street Lighting, Traffic Calming and restoring verges etc.  Cllr Donoyou proposed, seconded Cllr Cummins that:

  1. We take a view of what money we need to spend next year, set line in budget to do it, we can fund out of reserves if we want to.
  2. Identify what other monies we can get (match funding, grants).

 

  1. Authorisation of Payments:
K & M Lighting Services – Maint February 2015 £61.15
Wendy Gray – Salary February 2015 £240.00
Wendy Gray – Tax February 2015 £60.00
Wendy Gray – Gift for Cllr Burgess £19.99
Roland Fletcher – H&S Repairs Willowbrook Bridge £218.40
D Knibbs – Clearance of verges/dead trees as per plan £2,700.00
Leesons Lawnmowers –  Servicing Churchyard Mowers £325.80

 

Cllrs Porter and Cummins signed off authorisation for above payments to be made, all in agreement. 

 

  1. Street Lighting:

Question was raised how often are lantern covers cleaned.  Copy of Street Light Maintenance Contract to be forwarded to all Cllrs.

 

  1. A605 Junction:

Report via email from Emma Murden in response to email from Cllr Smith – “Cambridgeshire County Council are committed to reducing the number of people hurt on our roads. In Cambridgeshire there are over 2000 reported injury accidents each year.  The causes of collisions are investigated by the Road safety Engineering team to determine whether there are any engineering interventions that might reduce the risk of collisions.  Each year all collisions across the whole of our highway network (for the preceding 3 calendar years) are analysed to identify those sites that have repeatedly seen high levels of road traffic crashes. This identifies the sites with priority for further investigation.  Currently we have 88 clusters that exceed the threshold for collision numbers and/or severity of injuries.  The county sets aside a budget for undertaking small and medium sized accident remedial works where these are identified by our investigations. This casualty reduction budget and road safety engineer’s time are not unlimited.  The budget for the whole county this year is £600,000 so it is not possible to fund works at every cluster site.  Very minor works can be delivered relatively rapidly (often within the current financial year) once identified any larger or more complex projects, i.e. those requiring design and development, that are identified and affordable are added to the rolling 3 year programme that is published in the County Transport Delivery Plan.  With capacity in the budgets and resources for just 1 or 2 medium sized schemes each year prioritisation has to be applied and even those sites where potential measures have been identified as feasible are not guaranteed to be added to the programme immediately.  The casualty reduction programme is not designed to include major schemes such as bypasses, roundabouts, or bridges.  In the event large scale works being identified as the most appropriate intervention monies would have to be sought specifically to deliver them.  A more major scheme would be identified by my planning colleagues, who I put in contact with you following our last meeting.  Assessments are ongoing and any sites which receive funding are identified in the Transport Delivery Plan (TDP). Currently Elton has not been identified in the current TDP.   Future TDP programmes will be identified in a year’s time, so if you wish to receive further updates I suggest you contact us again in 2016.”  Copy of email to be forwarded to all Cllrs.

 

  1. Planning:

14/02028/FUL – Erection of first floor and ground floor extension, remodelling and refurbishment at The Elton C of E Primary School of The Foundation of Frances and Jane Proby, School Lane, Elton PE8 6RS – Cllr Cummins proposed, all Cllrs in agreement “that in principle we support the expansion of the school but note the design is not in keeping with the rest of the village. It was noted that in Huntingdonshire Local Plan the following is stated 

  1. “A conservation area is an area which has been designated because of its special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance”
    – Neither the designs nor the materials are in keeping with the village in general, nor with the surrounding buildings in particular.
  2. “Conservation Areas are normally centred on listed buildings, groups of buildings, open spaces or a historic street pattern. By assigning an area as a Conservation Area it seeks to preserve or enhance the character of the area, and not just individual buildings in it. Conservation Areas were introduced in 1967 when it was found that listed building legislation was failing to protect the overall character of cities, towns and villages”
    – so clearly the above comments are underlined – an inappropriate new building within the conservation boundaries can only damage the overall character of the  village.
  3. Policy En6

“In conservation areas, the District Council will require high standards of

design with careful consideration being given to the scale and form of

development in the area and to the use of sympathetic materials of

appropriate colour and texture.”
Again the school extension designs are in conflict with this Policy En6

Following this discussion, councillors noted national policy for new buildings in conservation areas and made reference to the National Planning Policy Framework, chapter 12 and PPS 5 policy HE 10 and paras 76 to 80.  This government guidance would seem to underpin the local authorities’ normal requirements and tests for development within conservation areas.  We also have concerns with traffic issues on Middle Street (up to 40 vehicles a day) dropping off and picking up children.  Any consent granted should be conditional upon a school travel plan being put in place, agreed and implemented before occupation of the extension.  The Parish Council would be happy to work with the school to help deliver a suitable travel plan.”

 

 

 

14/02217/S73 – Variation of Condition 2 of Planning Permission 1401765FUL to change garage design at Springfield Lodge Farm, Bullock Road, Elton PE7 3TT – Cllr Donoyou proposed, seconded Cllr Cummins, “no further comments to make on this application.”

 

15/00104/FUL – Erection of a single garage with lean to roof together with access gates at Beulah House, Back Lane, Elton, Peterborough PE8 6RH – Cllr Donoyou proposed, seconded Cllr Cummins “when the original application for an additional dwellings was made, the parish council pointed out that there was no garaging for either Beulah House, or the proposed dwelling and therefore an already awkward form of development would become further cramped.  With this application, this is most certainly the case and the proposed siting of the garage impinges upon the setting of Beulah House and the proposed double garage doors will be open to direct view from the street.  The parish council strongly recommends that:

  1. The materials for the garages are revised.  Stone and replica collyweston slate are normally required in prominent positions in conservation areas.  We note that this will require raising the pitch of the roof to 40 -45 degrees, which is more akin to the roof pitches of traditional buildings in the conservation area.
  2. The garage doors are positioned on the north gable of the building and therefore all manoeuvring will take place in the area originally designated in the approved plans and garage doors will not directly overlook public views of the conservation area.

These measures will lessen the undesirable impacts of this development on the conservation area.

 

15/00205/FUL – Single storey rear extension and two storey side extension at 24 Chapel Lane, Elton PE8 6RE – Cllr Donoyou proposed, seconded Cllr Strowbridge “very ambitious and does not comply with the principle in HDC guide, more sympathetic with existing building and overall environment to the village.”

 

  1. Trees/Verges:

Cllr Donoyou will be picking up new trees for planting on 23rd February.  Cllr Donoyou will email Cllrs, Elton Society requesting assistance with planting on 28th February.  There are no budget implications (trees are free) other than mileage to Huntingdon and back.

 

Cllr Donoyou has been looking at verge responsibilities, but this was a lot more complicated than originally thought.  Cllr Donoyou proposed we seek tenders to maintain verge areas already cleared (4 times a year) i.e. strimming, seconded Cllr Porter.  It was agreed Tenders would be sent to Grasscutting Contractor, Contractor who cleared the verges plus two others.  In the meantime Cllr Donoyou will produce a large scale map to ensure new contract areas are actually pinned down.  Question also to be asked “what happens in the churchyard.”  Guys who keep the churchyard clean do an excellent job, need to understand exactly what is required to maintain in current good condition.

 

  1. Broadband:

Agenda item for next meeting – information to be forwarded to Cllrs Cummins and Porter to review/champion.

 

  1. Elton Estates & Parish Council Liaison Meeting:

Cllrs Porter and Smith talked Parish Council through minutes of the above meeting.

 

  1. Huntingdonshire Local Plan to 2036:

Cllrs Donoyou, Holman and Smith attended seminar in Huntingdon on 2nd February to discuss the above.  There is a consultation process in place from 23rd January to 20th March 2015.  We are encouraged to make comments through HDC online consultation portal.  Cllr Donoyou gave an overview of the plan and it was agreed that we would discuss further at our March meeting so that our comments can be logged on the portal by the 20th March 2015.

 

  1. Correspondence:

HACT – response to be sent “the Parish Council would be happy to arrange for leaflets to be distributed around the village later in the year.  As the budget for this financial year has already been set suggest they contact us again in September for consideration for 2016/2017”.

 

  1. Reports from Councillors:

Sign on bypass – not visible, totally overgrown by foliage.  Parish Clerk to advise highways.

 

Woodland Trust – information to be forwarded to Cllr Donoyou by Cllr Smith to jointly have a look at, establish if the Parish Council or other bodies in the village would be eligible to apply for free hedging/trees.

 

Cllr Donoyou thanked the Parish Clerk for resolving the issue with Willowbrook Bridge to a satisfactory conclusion with minimal cost to the Parish Council.

 

  1. Date of Next Meeting:

Tuesday 17th March 2015 commencing at 7.30 p.m.

 

Meeting closed at 10.05 p.m.

 

 

Signed: ………………………………                             Date: ……………………..