PRESENT:  Cllrs Cummins, Donoyou, Gentry, Holman, Langlands, Porter, Rankmore, Smith and Strowbridge


IN ATTENDANCE:  Mrs W Gray Parish Clerk, 5 members of the public


  1. Apologies for Absence: County Cllr S Bywater, District Cllr R Mathews arrived at 8pm.


  1. Declaration of Interest: Cllr Holman (site in Chapel Lane), Cllr Gentry (site opposite Highgate Green), Cllrs Donoyou and Strowbridge (site at Berryleas Field)


  1. Minutes of 19th September 2017:

Wrong date put down for A605 works however as the original date has now been superseded it was not an issue.

Cllr Donoyou proposed that minutes were approved and signed, seconded Cllr Porter, all in favour.


  1. Matters Arising from above minutes – update:


  1. The Moorings – a further email has been received from Mr Bale and Cllr Donoyou has volunteered to draft a reply.
  2. Our PCSO Emily Bryant was invited to the meeting to discuss policing in Elton particularly in connection with parking but no representative was able to attend. David Strowbridge (Village Neighbourhood Watch) who was present mentioned that he had trouble contacting them as well probably due to their pressure of work


  1. YTD/monthly accounts v budget:

Current update reported to Cllrs.  Cllr Rankmore stressed importance that all Cllrs email the Parish Clerk with any proposed items for expenditure to be considered in the next financial year as soon as possible before November meeting.


  1. Authorisation of Payments:
Wendy Gray, Parish Clerk – Salary/Tax October £300.00
D Knibbs – Grasscutting October £566.66
K&M Lighting Services October £75.25
Highgate Hall – Hire of Annexe 19th September £20.00
Open Spaces Society – Subscription Renewal £45.00
DD E-on – October £230.54


Cllrs Donoyou, Langlands and Strowbridge approved the above invoices for payment.


  1. Street Lighting:

Cllrs Holman and Donoyou confirmed they had met the potential contractors (Allan Peacock) and thought they were the right people for this work.  Peacocks will be speaking to their suppliers in Stamford and will arrange to inspect all our lighting and report back with recommendations on which ones should be attended to first.  The contractors were advised that the PC had allocated £5000 from this year’s budget.


  1. Highways:
  2. A605 Junction:

Village residents have been made aware that date for bollards and new lining work planned for 27th – 30th October as the date was brought forward from November.  Cllr Smith looking at diversions (Cllr Bywater has taken up the baton) – Cllr Smith will chase up, need to know the proposed diversion and bus routes.  “Road unsuitable for HGV signs” (Cllr S Bywater/Cllr H Smith).

  1. Double Yellow Lining Middle Street:

Cllr Holman will be requesting funding £2000 in November.  Agreed that the PC should apply for Highways Orders for both Overend and Middle Street). In the case of Overend double yellow lines will be applied for on the areas either side of the entrance to the church where there is a grass verge.  Middle St will be from School Lane junction to Overend and will be implemented as soon as the financial provision is in place. Proposed Cllr Donoyou, seconded Cllr Rankmore, all in favour. 


  1. Extending 30 MPH limit to beyond Greenhill Road:

Parish Clerk to find out from the County costings for this proposal.


9 Planning:

Response to Call for Sites – following long discussions Cllr Donoyou proposed, seconded Cllr Langlands, all in favour that the Parish Council formally resolved to

  1. Object in the strongest possible terms to the proposal to include the Larkfleet proposals for the land at Sibson as an allocation within the Local Plan.  The reasons for this objection have been previously put to and discussed with the district council and there have been no material changes to housing land availability targets or national planning policy which could change the circumstances of the previous objections.
  2. Object in the strongest possible terms to any allocation of sites for housing estates in and around Elton village.  Our views remain consistent with the response made to the Local Plan consultation following the Parish Council’s formal resolution of its meeting of 21stAugust 2017 as follows
  3. Spatial Strategy – Policy LP 7

The parish council strongly support the continuing categorisation of Elton as a Small Settlement within Policy LP7.

The PC is strongly opposed to any proposal to re-designate the village, inappropriately, as a Key Service Centre and would also be strongly opposed to the allocation of significant sites on the fringes of the village for residential development which we believe would have a detrimental effect on the character of the locality and the village.

However, the PC is sensitive to the benefits that arise from maintaining a balanced population and housing stock but believes it is possible to work towards such benefits by sensitive developments within the existing village framework.

  1. 2.            Community Planning Proposals – Policy LP 27

Within the plan period, the PC wishes to carry out further work with the community and should need be identified we will further engage with our community, local landowners and the district council to address these through Policy 27. The pc believes a Neighbourhood Plan is the most appropriate way to consider the possible allocation of any future sites for development together with appropriate local facilities and other factors such as effect on the character of the settlement, local transport, etc.

  1. Rural Exceptions Housing – Policy LP28

There is a variety of housing to rent through the local housing association, a village based trust providing almshouses and through private letting.  The PC feels it unlikely that a case can be made for Rural Exceptions Housing.

  1. Sustainable Travel – LP15

The parish would wish to see a more pro-active policy with the district council and local communities working to enhance strategic cycleways / rights of ways, with key routes linking existing settlements and growth areas. Such infrastructure provision could be funded through planning agreements within the growth areas.  The parish council wishes to talk further with the district council regarding strategic cycleway provision, especially given the villages geography in relation to the key growth villages of Yaxley and Sawtry and the continuing expansion to the south of Peterborough.

  1. Renewable & Low Carbon Energy – LP36

The parish council would wish to see a more pro-active policy to help bring forward and progress local sustainable energy projects.  In Elton for example, the listed mill (which has been vacant for 40 years and is on the buildings at risk register), would appear to have potential for local low carbon energy generation.

  • Contrary to representations made by Elton Estates to this consultation, there is currently no operational village shop, there is no Elton Cricket Club and no cricket has been played on the ground within Elton park for at least 12 months and the levels of local employment generated by businesses within the former Elton Hall Dairy and Walled Garden is questionable.  There are therefore insufficient local services to justify upgrading Elton from a “Small Settlement” (LP7) as originally proposed by the Local Plan Consultation Draft to a “Key Service Centre” (Policy LP6).
  1. In fact, the paucity of local facilities is so severe that all the Elton sites canvassed in the current consultation on land availability in fact fall below HDC’s own threshold of sustainability and cannot properly be considered for development as a consequence.
  2. Notwithstanding items 2 and 3 above, the parish council has stated that it would wish to work with Huntingdonshire District Council, landowners and local people under Local Plan Policy LP 27 to bring forward a combined Neighbourhood / Village Plan and Conservation Area Character Assessment / Appraisal and part of this Plan would be to identify a form, location and scale of development that is appropriate to local needs and helps maintain and enhance the vitality of Elton and its community facilities. Cllr Donoyou proposed, seconded Cllr Gentry that a working party is set up re a combined Neighbourhood/Village Plan – all in favour.  Parish Cllrs from Elton – Cllr Donoyou, Cllr Gentry and Cllr Langlands.



  1. Trees/Verges and Footpaths:
  • Iron Bridge – Elton Nassington – Cllrs Holman and Donoyou met with NCC in company with our solicitor – not a very helpful meeting. It was resolved that we should proceed with Section 56 Objection – Cllr Cummins proposed we issue notice, seconded Cllr Smith all in favour.


  • Elton Lock to Warmington Lock towpath – only one objection received to draft order – progressing. If continue with their objection another Public Enquiry looms.


  • Northamptonshire Greenways – Cllr Donoyou will produce plan for further meeting.


  1. The Moorings, Elton:

Cllr Smith with speak with John Davey for update, Cllr Donoyou preparing response to Mr Bale’s latest email.


  1. Village Shop:

Special meeting arranged to discuss way forward.  PC appreciated the presentation from Peter James (Plunkett Foundation) – information has been circulated.  Agreed from meeting that in advance of a village meeting we would sit down and negotiate with Sir W Proby concerning the Community proposal and how this would interact with the current marketing of the premises by EE.   Anyone who is interested in volunteering please contact Mrs H Donoyou/Mr R Donoyou in the first instance 01832 280494.  It is anticipated it will not be possible to hold a village meeting until well into January 2018.  It was resolved that Cllrs Holman and Donoyou would arrange a meeting with Sir W Proby to move forward i.e. take shop off the market and then arrange village meeting.  Proposed Cllr Rankmore, seconded Cllr Strowbridge, all in favour.


  1. Correspondence:

Connection Bus Project  – Parish Clerk to obtain further information.

Voluntary Funding Event – Rutland – Parish Clerk to obtain further information.


  1. Reports from Councillors:
  2. Cllr Mathews:

Attended Parish Conference – CCC “The Little Book of Big Scams” – would be prepared to come to talk to a village meeting if required.

  1. Information on Little Paxton re village shop given to Cllr Donoyou.


  • Cllr Langlands:

Attended Police & Crime Commissioners Conference – will circulate presentation to all when received.

Parish Clerk to send details re Parish Website so that Cllr Langlands can report back to Parish Council.

School House – work is due to re start at half term.


  1. Cllr Donoyou:

Grasscutting – The Contactor David Knibbs was thanked by the PC for his work.  It had not been anticipated that he would still be cutting grass at this time of year.

PC has previously agreed to get in a JCB re levelling works in The Spinney – cost £900 (includes JCB hire).  The Parish Council will need to provide contractor with map of the services etc and suggest 2 Cllrs are also present when JCB is on site.  Cllr Donoyou has also informed Bridget Halford (HDC) re 3 trees that need taking down.  Cllr Donoyou proposed costing is agreed, seconded Cllr Smith all in favour.


  1. Cllr Rankmore:

Update on Wansford and Kings Cliffe Surgery development.  Cllr H Smith is 100% behind project.  There will be a meeting in KC where partners from each practice will produce plans, Parish Councillors will be invited at first stage.


  1. Street Light top of School Lane (cracked globe) – Parish Clerk to report.


  1. Date of Next Meeting:

Tuesday 21st November 2017


Meeting closed at 9.30 p.m.


Apologies received in advance from Cllr Donoyou who will not be able to attend November meeting (holiday).





Signed: ………………………………                                   Date: ……………………..