ELTON PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the meeting of Elton Parish Council on 17th July 2007

Minutes 2007 July

PRESENT:

Councillors Bense, Burgess, Dalgleish, Elvin, Nicholson and Rankmore

 

IN ATTENDANCE: 

Emma Murden Highways CC, Cllr Hensley County Councillor, Clare Drake Elton School

 

1. APOLOGIES:

Cllr Macguire, Cllr Hidderley, Cllr Kirk, Cllr Jones, Cllr Porter, W Gray Parish Clerk

2. MINUTES

Minutes of meeting 19th June.  Cllr Bense proposed, seconded Cllr Rankmore.

 

3. AUTHORISATION OF PAYMENTS:

Need to set budget in September in time before Huntingdon District Council precept made.

 

Enough money left to cut village grass 3 or 4 times in this budget year.

4. HIGHWAYS:

Traffic Count – well supported and worthwhile exercise.  Data in process of analysis – further discussion.

 

Jointly Funded Minor Improvement Scheme – Poss £30,000 grant for minor scheme in village separate from any other issues.

 

EM (JFS) funding CC, DC, PC deadline for bids 31.8.07 concerns re thru route, road markings, speed limits at entry to village…….

 

CD – promoting school with travel plan, main issues affect highways through village – school has secured some funding – can be worked on collaratively with PC.  Third of school pop outside village – need distinct parking – park and walk from village hall car park – zebra/pelican crossing to help kids across road.

 

EM – a controlled crossing not viable – a central refuge, highlight area, but not specific measures – then highways can advise what is possible within budget e.g. speed reduction measure, village entry control, red surfacing, painted dragons teeth.

 

JB – speed humps, raised dragons teeth nr Glatton, could we have these features near Black Horse plus crossing near entry to Churchyard on top road – street lighting already existing – kids could walk along path from village hall – avoid dangerous bend.

 

CB – general slowing down, speed bumps throughout village, Peterborough Road, Overend or Wansford to Overend.

 

KD – calming for Overend.

 

RR – speeding throughout village – £30,000 won’t touch it – needs advice from the experts.

 

EM – but can look for this funding year on year.

 

MN – dragons teeth, red painted on road, built out conclaves – slowing down and making traffic give way, against speed bumps, agree with RR, let’s hear from the experts – what do they recommend.

 

EM – conclaves and build outs – could reduce width of road approx £10 – 15,000 but requires length of straight road, give way features need lighting, costs, give way features plus speed bumps both generate noise.

 

IK – Back Lane and Duck Street need attention – top road is a main road now, take narrowing bump out of back lane.

 

Chairman – important to make a bid for this year – make a general applic for 1 year – highways would then score it and see whether funding is available.

 

RR – Back Lane and Duck Street more important than top of village.

 

CD – phase could be bottom end of village, school safe routes to school budget – would that be enough for plan that school is thinking of or if priority for village was same area – could we achieve more.

 

Highways cannot offer advice for a whole village strategy.  2 requests for Duck Street have already been turned down.

 

Chairman – a proposal?  Final comments?

 

CB – attack entry points to village to be taken forward – JFMIS

IK – propose Duck Street as starting point – RR seconded – 2 for rest abstained

JB – should work in conjunction with school look at Overend

CB – propose traffic calming on P,boro Road coming into village MN seconded 3 for.

 

JB whose responsibility is it to maintain new area at top of school lane?

District Council own land – we will revisit this at another meeting.

 

5. TREES:

Tree Warden not available – report being written, will meet with chairman in next couple of weeks.

 

6. PLANNING:

House next to Crown Inn – 1 objection.

 

7. COMPOSTING:

Nothing to report.

 

8. STREET  LIGHTING:

Chair proposed to hold over until a short meeting in August, waiting for quotes re electricity supply – until all facts and figures available before contract ends at end of August – will e-mail re a date.

9. EROSION OF GREENS AND VERGES:

Tidy up at top of School Lane, thanks to Neil Monson and Ray Sanderson – PC to send letter of thanks.  Cllr Bense advised need to be mindful of liability Elton Estate to put up post and rail fence.

 

10. INVITATIONS AND REQUESTS:

 

11. LAND REGISTRY:

Wendy has spoken to Land Registry and passed on information found – advised to check internet records from council – will report at next meeting.

 

12. ELTON PLAYSPACE:

Cllr Dalgleish to set up meeting with DV.

 

13. VACANCY FOR COUNCILLOR:

Chair – no urgency to elect plus 1 applic not available – defer to next meeting – agreed.

 

14. CODE OF CONDUCT:

Two paragraphs have changed .  Proposal to adopt rules by Cllr Bense, seconded Cllr Burgess.  Voted 5 for plus pay £24 for CALC to advertise.  Cllr Bense proposed, Cllr Burgess seconded.  Voted 4 in favour.

 

15. QUALITY COUNCIL STATUS:

Awaiting notification – chair to report back at next meeting.

 

16. REPORTS FROM COUNCILLORS:

None

 

17. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 

18th September 2007  at 8.00 p.m.

 

The meeting closed at approx 9.25 pm

 

 

 

Signed: ……………………………….Chairman

 

 

 

Date:    ……………………………….